Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

2002 xr 250 starts and idles but breaks down when reving it

Customer Question

JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a motorcycle. The Motorcycle Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Bike had been sitting for 2 yrs. We put fresh fuel in it and it run great for a little while than started missing and spluttering. I took the carby out and gave it a blow out and it was good again for a short time then did the same thing.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: pulled the carby out 3 times and gave it a blow out with compressor. Checked spark plug and it appears ok
JA: Is there anything else the Motorcycle Mechanic should be aware of about your motorcycle?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 6 months ago.
Hello, have you checked the screen on the fuel petcock for debris?