Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Its an 04 honda atv trx500fa it started to bogg down when

Customer Question

hi its an 04 honda atv trx500fa it started to bogg down when giving throttle i replaced tps and cleaned carb. still does the same it does idle
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a honda. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: well like i said it turns on an idles butif u give it throttle it back fires and dies replaced the throttle position senser and it still shows on codes that its the tps code#4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if its possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: took carburetor to get cleaned and replaced the throttle possition sensor cause thats what the code was showing
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your honda?
Customer: i took old gas out replaced with new gas it keeps showing #4 code which its the tps on the code list
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.
Hi Roger and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, it would still appear to be a fuel delivery issue (most likely) and/or ignition/electrical related (least likely). Let's review / try the basics; proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):• check the burn color of the spark plug's inner ceramic tip;- if black/sooty, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue @ the intake/after the carb;- if oily, then an internal engine problem;- if very light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern @ air box/coupling/before the carb;• check the air box and air filter/element;- ensure tight/correct fit;- verify air entry is only through the designated opening;• check the battery voltage;- at least 12.7V when idling;- but not to exceed 14.5V ~ 15.0V when attempting to increase RPM.