Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

Its an 04 honda atv trx500fa it started to bogg down when

Customer Question

hi its an 04 honda atv trx500fa it started to bogg down when giving throttle i replaced tps and cleaned carb. still does the same it does idle
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a honda. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: well like i said it turns on an idles butif u give it throttle it back fires and dies replaced the throttle position senser and it still shows on codes that its the tps code#4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if its possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: took carburetor to get cleaned and replaced the throttle possition sensor cause thats what the code was showing
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your honda?
Customer: i took old gas out replaced with new gas it keeps showing #4 code which its the tps on the code list
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.
Hi Roger and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, it would still appear to be a fuel delivery issue (most likely) and/or ignition/electrical related (least likely). Let's review / try the basics; proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):• check the burn color of the spark plug's inner ceramic tip;- if black/sooty, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue @ the intake/after the carb;- if oily, then an internal engine problem;- if very light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern @ air box/coupling/before the carb;• check the air box and air filter/element;- ensure tight/correct fit;- verify air entry is only through the designated opening;• check the battery voltage;- at least 12.7V when idling;- but not to exceed 14.5V ~ 15.0V when attempting to increase RPM.