Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

I have an '06 electraglide and I am getting crazy fast idle

Customer Question

I have an '06 electraglide and I am getting crazy fast idle at stops, intermitant check engine light at low as well as high speeds and what would be like a vapor lock or flooding condition where I wait 10-15 minutes before it will start. Diagnostics code says problem with temperature sending unit. Was reading 3 degrees and one was swapped from another bike and still persists. Could a wire be pinched? I just had it apart for painting and could a wire Gooden caught up somewhere you think?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 5 months ago.
Hello, it does sound like the wire to the temp sending unit is shorting and giving the computer a false reading. You'll need to check the wiring from the sensor back.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
since you have seen the check engine light, check for diagnostic error codes:The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting should illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word 'diag' should then appear.4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)P = ECM (Electronic Control Module [EFI]S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)SP = speedometerT = tachometer6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC's the code will be displayed or the word none will appear if there are no DTC's. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.7 - Record the codes.8 - If DTC's are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC's again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected."No Rsp" will also appear if the run/off switch is in the off position when doing this procedure.Also if the code set is a historic code (not a constant light) after 50 start and run cycles of at least 30 seconds each in duration, the light will extinguish itself as long as the error hasn't occurred again.If it were a current code, the light would remain lit while running.let me know what you find.Steve