virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

I have a1963 flh with shovelheads. I washed my bike and it

Customer Question

I have a1963 flh with shovelheads. I washed my bike and it ran terrible after I dried it. It's running better now (2 days later) but when I feel the exhaust the front cylinder is much stronger than the rear. I've tried switching plugs. spark plug wires, checking valve adjustment and points. No better
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm sorry you are having a few issues with your bike. I will try to help.May I ask, is it running like it was before you washed it or is it feel different?Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wasn't' aware that it was running poorly.Sorry for the confusion
Oh ok. So you said the front cyl is running stronger then the rear, just to make sure, I'm assuming the exhaust is hotter then the rear cyl. Or are you feeling vibration?
How much hotter, is the front then the rear? Also have you done a compression check?Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sonny. I put my hand behind the exhaust pipe. I only did a compression test with a finger, no gage,it felt good
here are the 2 formost reasons in your case for a cyl to produce more heat then another. 1) higher compression. 2) leaner mix of fuel and air.
Can you tell me the difference in heat? Is it substantial like the rear cyl isn't firing at all? Or just a noticeable difference but it is working?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Sonny. I don't know the heat difference, I"m not near the bike. Have you ever put your hand behind both exhaust pipes on a two cylinder engine. It's obvious when the explosions are not the same. Let's drop the temp questions and move on.Are you telling me a spark issue is not an option
Spark is an issue if it's not firing at all. Or a really weak spark to were it's not burning all or much of the gas. But if this was the case you would notice a difference in the way the engine ran. And it would lack power. But my question about how much difference in the heat was only to get some more info about the condition of the engine and the severity of the problem. But if you pull both plugs out and examine the spark by laying it against the cyl as you turn the engine over is one noticably brighter and stronger?If the engine runs fine but the only thing is the difference in heat then yes spark isn't the culprit. It's either height compression or leaner mix in hotter cyl.I hope this helps.Thanks
I'm going to be logging off for the night in a few min. So if you have any more questions feel free to ask but I may not be able to reply till tomorrow. If it's urgent another tech may jump in.Thanks