kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experience in Harley Davidson and Triumph

I have a sports racer (car) powered by a 2002 Gsxr 1000,

Customer Question

I have a sports racer (car) powered by a 2002 Gsxr 1000, using the bike wiring harness and ECU. It has a hot starting issue. I autocross with this car, so short runs of a minute or so. After 2 or 3 runs, the engine will not start, it cranks normal but no fire. Sometimes a small "burp" likes it going to go but it doesn't. It will fire right up with a small push start, and runs normal. Does not seem to be flooded at all when it fires. If it sits and cools down for 30 or 40 minutes it will fire up normally as well. The starter relay and rectifier are new. I've seen this problem described on some bike forums but never what the solution was that fixed the issue.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 5 months ago.
Hello, when the starter is hot it draws more amperage/voltage which reduces the amount of voltage available to the computer which in turn reduces voltage to the ignition module,crank sensor and coil. This is why it will start with a push, but not with starter when hot. Couple of things to check and remedy. Check battery with a load tester Check all battery cables for tightness and corrosion Check conenctors at computer, coil and sensors for tightness and corrosion have the starter tested for amp draw install heat shild on starter 9the stick on heat absorber pieces work great Finally if all else fails replace the starter. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. Follow up questions concerning this are always free, even after rating or accepting. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, how what is an acceptable draw for the starter? Cold and hot?
It should be around 100-160 amps cold and 160-200 hot.