P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

1988 Harley davidson sportster 1200 ,,, shifter just spins ,

Customer Question

1988 Harley davidson sportster 1200 ,,, shifter just spins , does not shift ????
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: assuming its factory , no leaks ,
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the shifter wont shift
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: reading up on who eles has had this problem ,,,
JA: Is there anything else the Motorcycle Mechanic should be aware of about your motorcycle?
Customer: it seems like the splines on the shifter pedal are striped ,, but there not , its inside the transmission ,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 10 months ago.
If you're confident the shifter lever isn't spinning on the shaft splines then the problem is likely a broken shifter shaft. It isn't a quick fix. The entire primary, and transmission as well as the exhaust, chain, sprocket cover, and sprocket need to be removed to replace it (or check it for that matter). Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to get to it. It's a job that takes 6 - 8 hours for a shop to complete and requires about $150 in parts and materials (if it is just that shaft that is broken). I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.