Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I have a 2012 Cross Country with 12k mi. I've been having a

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Cross Country with 12k mi. I've been having a shifting problem where 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are no issue, neutral is easy, but it's as if 4th and so on don't exist. The bike must be warmed up, I can throttle down, literally press in on the shaft of the shift ratchet and it falls into 4th. 4th, 5th, 6th then, no issues. Downshift to 3rd and we have to repeat the process to find 4th. I've opened the primary twice and I've had 2 V92's previously so I'm familiar with the look inside BUT my suspicion is a shift fork? That's something I've never wrestled with(and I suspect resides on the opposite side of my tranny...not fun if not beyond my ability)
I see 0.0 metal damage, nothing to appear abnormal, shift ratchet shows no edge damage, broken spring...I'm stumped. ANY help would be massive
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. From what you have described here this may be an issue with a damaged shift fork assembly not engaging 4th gear as it should as I have seen before in the past.I would have the shift fork checked for any damage to see if it needs replaced as well as any other shifting components in the transmission/gear box itself.If a fault is found it will need repaired.If you have no experience on this here and with my info being limited on this it may be best to have a repair facility that works on this model here inspect and repair this. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete