Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

My Harley super has no ignition no instrument lights.battery

Customer Question

My Harley super has no ignition no instrument lights.battery good .changed ignition switch checked all fuses.good.It would die on me while riding,loose all electrical power then suddenly come back to life.seems like I would wiggle key and or wait a minute and come back to nothing
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

there is not much to the power feed on your bike.

start with the battery and work your way out until you find where you are losing the voltage.

then power "flow" is as follows:

- battery (+) to starter solenoid.

- starter solenoid to MAXI fuse.

- MAXI fuse to ignition switch (solid red wire)

- ignition switch to fuse sockets "power" side.

let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cleaned off all battery cable and ground connections.things are a little better. Now I have instrument lights but only in acc. Position. When key is turned to ignition position,everything goes dead. Tried tracing down solid red wire . Everything appears to be good to maxi fuse. But where does it go from there? Wiring is really cramped and bundled up from there ,making it hard to see and follow its path. I'm guessing it goes to starter you think it could be bad. I already bought a new ignition switch(3 wire) not cheap,and hate to keep buying parts that don't fix the problem.thanks for your last response .it was very helpful and enlightening.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

your question about where the wire goes is answered in my answer, above. please read it again carefully and draw a picture if it helps (it helps me).

nothing on a bike "appears to be good". it either IS good, or it is NOT good. I need you to be specific if we are to find your problem.

- you have all the symptoms of a dead battery.

measure the battery voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

let me know what you find. voltages in VDC only please.

Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,