Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Tony again sorry to annoy you. Still no spark at any of the

Customer Question

Tony again sorry to annoy you. Still no spark at any of the 4 plugs. Surely both coils aren't dea
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HiCustomerturned the GS1000g over. It's not seized turns over ok.
I think it might need coils as there is no spark on any of the 4 plugs .
Ignition light and indicators go okay but nothing on the leads. Fuses are good
Not sure weather to get new coils which will take a week to arrive or if you have a idea.
4 new plugs so it's not that. Seems strange that there is no spark at any of the plugs.
Like I say it turns over okay
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 6 months ago.
Use a test light to verify that there is power to the ignition coils at the orange/white wires of both coils with the ignition switched on and the kill switch in the run position. Do you have power?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have power everywhere.when I touch the the orange wires they light up. A little bit spasmodic but still glow
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the photo. Those are not oem coils but they should work ok. On the other terminals of the coils there are a black/yellow and a white wire. Try disconnecting these wires, use the test light to verify that you have power to the terminals at the coils where the wires are disconnected. If there is power there then make a short piece of jumper wire. Remove the spark plugs and insert them into the plug caps and let them lay against the cylinder head. Ground on end of the jumper wire and momentarily touch the other end to either of the disconnected wire terminals of the coils. With the ignition switch and kill switch on you should see spark jump the gap of the corresponding plugs every time you disconnect the jumper wire from the terminal. Check the other coil in the same manner. Do you get spark from both coils?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for that. I work away and am back at work for 3 weeks then home for 10 days.
I'll get back to you 👍
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 6 months ago.
Very good