Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

How's it going. Tony here with the GS 1000g. I sent you a

Customer Question

How's it going. Tony here with the GS 1000g. I sent you a reply about the bike. Still waiting..
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 5 months ago.
Tony,Are you using the electric starter push button on the right hand handle bar switch or are you jumping the solenoid to get the engine to turn over? If the electric starter button isn't working, it will not spark by jumping the solenoid. More than likely the same thing that is preventing the electric starter button to work is also killing the spark. I would not buy coils just yet. The probability of both coils failing at the same time is very smallRSRBOB
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HiCustomer I'm starting the bike (trying to) like normal. The solenoid I think someone has replaced lately before selling it to me. I have a photo. Coils same time I know very rare. Anyway push button on Right hand side of handle bar.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here's a photo of the coils.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for the pictures.Solenoids can be fairly generic so that in itself should not be an issue.The coils are aftermarket "Dyna" brand coils. If they are rare, it is only because they are out of production, not from a perceived value standpoint. In reality, when the person replaced them, they were probably less expensive than the OEM's so they went with them.Coils can be checked with an ohm meter. Check across the primary side and the secondary side. Primary are the 2 small wires, wire to wire. They should be fairly low ohms resistance. For sure under 100. If both of them are low and about the same, then the primary side is good. Then check the secondary side, which would be high tension lead to high tension lead, no spark plug caps, should be somewhere around 5,000~10,000 ohms resistance. If either show a dead short or completely open, then they are in fact electrically no good. If they both test out at about the same resistance, say within 10% of each other, it is probably not the coils. Have you checked to see if you have battery voltage to either of the primary leads at the coil? I am going from memory on this and it has been since the mid 80's since I have had to work on a GS100G, but I am relatively confident there should be battery voltage to one side, and the other wire goes back to the engine control module to break ground to allow the primary field to collapse and induce voltage.Do you have a neutral light and does the clutch have to be pulled in for the electric starter to work?Let me know what you find,ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Haven't got a ohm meter. I'll buy one. I have ignition (red) and neutral(green) light going.
It's like basically no power to coils to spark them into life. Bike turns over easy just no spark to the ignition leads what so ever
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thankyou for your time. Hopefully we'll get it sorted
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 5 months ago.
There is no question in my mind we will sort this out. As far as the ohm meter, any one will work just fine, you do not need to spend a lot of money on one. An inexpensive one will work just fine. We are looking for a big problem so we don't need ultimate sensitivity. We either have a broken wire or open circuit somewhere and any meter is capable of accurately showing that.Let me know how it goes and we can take it from there.RSRBOB
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cheers. I'm back at work now. I do three weeks on an 10 days off. I'll get back to then.
Cheers 👍
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 5 months ago.
Cheers.Let me know where you are at on this and we can pick it up from there.RSRBOB