Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

98 virago 1100 voltage regulator reading from red batt. Lead

Customer Question

98 virago 1100 voltage regulator reading from red batt. Lead to black gnd..Both leads are read with regulator in my hand
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?No sure what you are asking here, it appears that you are checking voltage ? How about we start with mileage on the unit and more importantly, What is your symptom that you are having ?ThanksKenny
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Plez advise if you got the pics & understand the question... I am thinking the regulator should not show any "shorts" resistance..thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.
No pictures received ?? What is the problem you are having, for me to get to were you are at you first need to explain what symptom, you are talking about the "regulator" are you have a charging issue, please help me out, I can't read your mind ?Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok..not sure why you are not getting what is sent,so I will try bike shut off while running --totally dead. I started tracing the wiring because I was seeing a short (ohm) from the positive batt cable to the frame with a meter. Working my way to the voltage regulator,the short cleared after unplugging regulator . My question is - with a meter on one red (batt) wire of the regulator and the other lead (meter) on the black wire of the regulator which goes to frame ground,I see a almost solid short. I have recvd a new (after mkt) regulator and see same reading. Is this a normal reading that maybe changes when turned on under normal conditions ? I will try again to send pic.if it will help..thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.
OK, this last response says much more then you offered earlier and you can read back your initial responses, as I said earlier, I cant read minds, so you still have not answered my simple question, are you have a charging issue ? I understand you question about the regulator with old verses new, but that is not the path that you need to go right now, If this is a charging issue I can figure that out for you, but there is a process that you need to follow, if not then the way you are going about this, will be like throwing darts.So please just give me simple answers below and you have supplied enough details in your last response.Mileage on this unit ?What is the charging voltage (VDC) with bike running at the battery at 3000 rpm, (see blow) ?I going to post up a simple test that I would like you to do, this will tell me where I need you to startYou’ll need a multi-meter and set it to VDC, and since we are only testing the battery (12 volts) you can set it on the scale accordingly.Key off, we need to establish “battery” voltage, take a measurement and record it.Key on, observe the voltage drop with the key on, and record it.Key on, now while observing your meter, attempt to start the engine and observe the voltage drop, and record that. If your meter doesn’t have a peak voltage setting, you might have to do this a few times to get an accurate reading. Once you get the results, please get back to me.ThanksKenny
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Kenny.....the bike is DOA . I am tbl.shooting or trying to. I clear the short---maybe you can call ?(###) ###-####...plez advise
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.
OK. I tried, but obviously you have your path that you would like to follow, your response to my multitude of my questions is this "the bike is DOA " this was not in any of my questions, I will opt out as I will never come up with the answer going at it in your direction.Thanks Good luck !Kenny
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
good job "Kenny "
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will opt out also