Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

I have a 2000 superglide with a twin 88 my problem is that

Customer Question

I have a 2000 superglide with a twin 88 my problem is that the oil dipstick keeps blowing out im assuming due to back pressure. I have drained some oil and changed the oil filter. I even by-passed the oil cooler. Do you have any idea what I should look at next
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This can be due to a piston problem or on some models the compression rings on the piston(s).I would have this checked as well as the exhaust for any excessive back pressure due to restriction that may be causing this here needing repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

the dipstick blows out when the oil tank is overfilled or the blow by from the rings exceeds the ability of the head breathers to vent it off.

the most common cause is an over filled oil tank.

always make sure your FULL HOT oil lever is BELOW the full hot mark and only checked when the oil is HOT.

let me know if you need more help.

Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,