Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

HiJA: . How can we be of help?Customer: I am just trying

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I am just trying to diagnosis whats wrong with my kx450f
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a motorcycle. The Motorcycle Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: around 80% throttle is splutters.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed all the filters. Taken the fuel filter out. Ran injector cleaner in the fuel. Ran a diagnostic on the ECU and nothing came up. changed the spark plug.
JA: Is there anything else the Motorcycle Mechanic should be aware of about your motorcycle?
Customer: its a 2014 model
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, it could either be an electrical/ignition concern or a fuel issue. As a test by process of elimination, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):• measure the battery voltage with ignition OFF, ignition ON and when attempting to start;• temporarily disconnect the voltage regulator and then attempt again the "...around 80% throttle...";• carefully remove the spark plug;• check the burn color of the ceramic to the tip;- if black/sooty, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue;- if oily, then an internal engine problem;- if very light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern;• check the air box and air filter/element;- ensure tight/correct fit;- verify air entry is only through the designated opening