Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

HiJA: . How can we be of help?Customer: I am just trying

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I am just trying to diagnosis whats wrong with my kx450f
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a motorcycle. The Motorcycle Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: around 80% throttle is splutters.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed all the filters. Taken the fuel filter out. Ran injector cleaner in the fuel. Ran a diagnostic on the ECU and nothing came up. changed the spark plug.
JA: Is there anything else the Motorcycle Mechanic should be aware of about your motorcycle?
Customer: its a 2014 model
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, it could either be an electrical/ignition concern or a fuel issue. As a test by process of elimination, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):• measure the battery voltage with ignition OFF, ignition ON and when attempting to start;• temporarily disconnect the voltage regulator and then attempt again the "...around 80% throttle...";• carefully remove the spark plug;• check the burn color of the ceramic to the tip;- if black/sooty, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue;- if oily, then an internal engine problem;- if very light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern;• check the air box and air filter/element;- ensure tight/correct fit;- verify air entry is only through the designated opening