Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Have a 2012 rmz 250 new valves sprong exhaust guides seals

Customer Question

have a 2012 rmz 250 new valves sprong exhaust guides seals piston rings gaskets.bike will only start if pushed started.then it will run n can kick start it rest of day.bike has a new ststor as well tried a diff pump n voltage reg
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 6 months ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question.The first thing that comes to mind is there was a problem in reassembly. I suggest doing a compression test and see where it is at. What I am wondering about is if the cam timing is off and causing the hard starting.The next question would be valve clearance. This is also a symptom of a tight valve. Although normally not an issue with a fresh rebuild, it is worth checking since something is obviously wrong here.I am curious about a few things too. First, who did the rebuild? Was it a Suzuki dealer or an individual? Also, what made the rebuild necessary? Did the bike have a catastrophic failure and damage all those parts? Knowing the history of the bike could be beneficial as we move forward here.ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i know the timing n valve clearance r good new piston did a leak down test all good.was thinkin ecm not powering up the pump on inital start.i did tge motor rebuild and have been motorcycle mechanic for long time.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i wondering if tge tps sensor is out of adj i dont have the tps specs for the setting
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 6 months ago.
The TPS would not affect start up but would affect performance after it was running or while riding.I would suggest you go back and check your valve clearance and cam timing one more time. Since we obviously know something isn't right, assuming anything at this point could be overlooking the problem. Leakdown only tells you that you have a seal at TDC. If the valves are closed and the rings seal, it will say it is good. Compression would give you a better idea of if the valves are opening at the correct time.As far as your fuel pump, have you pulled the spark plug out and looked to see if it is wet? Again, I consider this highly improbable because you said once it gets running, it runs ok. This is another situation where the problem you are suggesting doesn't fit all of the symptoms your bike is having.If you don't want to double check cam timing and valve clearance, I will opt out.Let me know.ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i just checked the intake they r good and the ezhaust is good as well l.the timing on cams is 13 pins and cam marks r level with head.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
one other thing customer said if he goves the intake a shot of either it will fire up with the kicker.but im curious if tge ecm has a relay to kick on during start up to turn pump on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
so i pay $48 for 3 replys and which i really got no answer.im not very happy with this site.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** you still need help on this ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes i cant figure it out at all.i know tining n valves r in spec.all new vlaves piston ring r stagered n has very little leakdown.if i give it a shot of brake cleaner or carb cleaner it will fire up.other then thst i jave to kick it like 50 tines.jjust started doing this last fall
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** the last expert is someone that I highly respect, Bob worked for Yamaha factory (enemy...lol) and I worked for Kawasaki factory, Bob is very knowledgeable as I'm sure he feels the same with me, we both respect each other and I actually will throw question's at him and vice versa.I worked with Team Green closely and actually was close with most everyone on the Factory Racing side, I will give you ideas that will likely lead you to what might be going on here, and with that hopefully we come up with the problem, as we all know that Suzuki didn't design this unit to be started in the fashion that currently exists. So reading through all that you offered I see no numbers, being on the tech line at Kawasaki for 25 years you have to rely on accurate data, if not then nothing will ever get fixed, I use to call in "garbage in, garbage out" So with that being said I want some accurate data (numbers)Valve clearance ? (on all four valves)Compression reading ? Leakdown ? (what was it)Fuel pressure ? (PSI) when starting kickingPicture of cams from the sprocket view, I want you to take a picture of BOTH cams from the sprocket side, first with the intake came lobes pointing straight up (12:00) position and turn the engine over and do the same for the exhaust.Thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Cory I'm stepping away from my computer, I'm in Southern California, If you get back to me today depending when I get back I might get back to you today, if not first thing in the morning.ThanksKenny