Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

The transmission is noisy in 2ND, 3rd and 4th gear..Harley..speeds

Customer Question

The transmission is noisy in 2ND, 3rd and 4th gear..Harley..speeds AND GETS NOISER WHEN HOT
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
primary chain has 1/2 play and I have a whole quest on chain case oil on the tranny side
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
10 May 2016 08:52primary chain has 1/2 play and I have a whole quart of chain case oil on the tranny side
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

the most reasonable cause is damaged shifting components, but the first thing I would do is perform a clutch adjustment to see if that helps at all. let me know if you need instructions.

otherwise:

- inspect the shift lever and all parts exposed outside the primary.

- if you find nothing, drain the primary cover, remove it and inspect the shifting components inside the chaincase.

- you may have to remove the clutch to inspect all components.

- if you still find noting, you will need to remove the transmission for inspection. the rest of the shifting components, including the shift drum and forks are on the back side of the trap door.

- to remove the transmission you'll need to remove the right side cover, bent and pulley.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve