Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a Polaris 500 preditor .It has sat a year put

Customer Question

I have a Polaris 500 preditor .It has sat for over a year put in new gas and it will start only after a long time cranking but will not run.The spark seems to be very very weak.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, let's try the basics and determine general area of possible fault. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):• carefully remove the spark plug;• check the burn color of the ceramic to the tip;• cautiously repeat the spark test;• crank and note if fuel enters the combustion chamber;• replace the spark plug;• carefully perform again a spark test. Additionally:• determine if there is sufficient fuel at the carb bowl;• with the air box/filter temporarily removed, cover the carb mouth with the palm of your hand and attempt to start;• determine if there is strong suction;• check if your palm would be wet with fuel;• check the fuel pump connections;• test for vacuum at the impulse line to the fuel pump while attempting to start;• verify output fuel from the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The compression is very good,its getting plenty of gas,I even used a different spark plug to check the spark.I belive the only problem is a very weak spark,and I don't know what is causing that
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.
With "...compression is very good,its getting plenty of gas...very weak spark...", the engine would fire and run.Please try the below and post back results:• with the air box/filter temporarily removed, cover the carb mouth with the palm of your hand and attempt to start;• determine if there is strong suction;• check if your palm would be wet with fuel;
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is not helpful,like I said before I have very week spark.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.
I understand; however and as posted above, even with a weak spark, it would/should fire/run. Even the Service Manual stipulates that a weak spark can only cause an engine not to rev up but, it would still idle.Still, perhaps another member can provide an alternate approach to your concern. The question would be re-opened as I would rather opt out. Good luck with the Predator.