Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a '13 Moto Guzzi Griso with 4k miles. I rode in the

Customer Question

I have a '13 Moto Guzzi Griso with 4k miles. I rode in the rain for an extended period yesterday and engine shut off abruptly and starter would not work. Had to tow bike. All electricals are on, dash, lights and so on. I checked the fuses, all good. I let the bike dry out overnight, cleaned battery terminals and tightened terminal connections. Battery shows 12.3 volts with no drop at all when I press the starter. Bike finally started this morning. Rode for about 2 miles and engine abruptly shut off and starter button does nothing. Keeps repeating the same problem, will run for a few minutes and then abruptly shut off. Fuel pump works when ignition is turned on and I have kick stand up and clutch pulled when I press starter button.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, it would appear to be a fuel delivery and/or ignition issue. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):• drain / replace fuel (least likely but still even if just to eliminate it as a suspect);• check/dry (likely due to "...rode in the rain for an extended period...") ignition coils, spark plug wires & caps and the spark plug themselves including the spark plug well (hole);• check/clean/air dry the fall (bank angle) sensor (most likely) as this affects both the fuel pump circuit and the engine start-up circuit through the injection relay. Additionally, consider cautiously using compressed air or better yet, CRC 2-26, DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent.