Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 79 cb750k that revs fine while in neutral or when

Customer Question

i have a 79 cb750k that revs fine while in neutral or when the clutch is engaged, but when i put in gear and try to rid, it only revs to 4-5000 rpm. what could be the cause of this?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nate my name is ***** ***** of questions before we move forward.How many miles are currently on your bike ?Has this bike been sitting, if so how long ?Any modifications engine related, pipe...etc ?Are you planning on working on this yourself ?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bike has 30000 miles on it. it sat for years before i bought it. only mods ar pod filters and carbs re jetted for them. and since its running pods, no mechanic here will touch it so i have to do it all myself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it ran fine last week. it revved well and everything. this lack of power cam out of nowhere.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Nate, well first off I would like you to check compression, but when you go to do that if you can, pull the spark plugs, and mark them what cylinder they came out of, then lay them out and picture the plugs so I can see the color on the electrodes, this will help me tremendously as to what might be going on, then if you can get me a compression reading on all cylinders, start from left to right and refer to left as number 1 and so on.Not sure if you can do this today, I will be stepping away from my computer in a couple of hours, I'm actually in California, so if you can get back to me later today then likely first thing tomorrow I will get back ?If you don't have a gauge some of the chain Auto parts stores will rent them (bring a spark plug to get the right size adaptor) or if you have Harbor Freight tool store close they have one that is pretty inexpensive.This is a good start and will likely lead us to what's going onThanksKenny