Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

Kawasaki mule --2009 4010 with seeming fuel issues -- just

Customer Question

kawasaki mule --2009 4010 with seeming fuel issues -- just reperlaced the fuel pump and it ran fine for a couple hours and now is back to acting as if there is not enough fuel pressure or flow ..
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the old pump would build pressure but had very little flow -- 43 psi but spec is 50 ml fuel in 3 secs-- was nowhere near that -- about 10 ml in 3 secs
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i am a repair shop and this is a customer unit -- so i guess i am wanting to fix it
JA: Is there anything else the Motorcycle Mechanic should be aware of about your motorcycle?
Customer: it has 490 hours and this is the second time the pump has been replaced -- i do not know who did it the first time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Randy this is Kenny, I'm the expert for MulesI need some information first then we'll move forward from that.I need the VIN (17 digits) under the front seat frame bar. ?A real good description of how the unit acts when having a problem ?And to verify the hours 490 ?Do you have an idea what this units daily use is, recreational or work, if work what does it see on a daily basis ?Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
don't have the vin --unit is not here and 490 is the hours.. unit is ranch work on a daily basis -- runs fine for a while and then has power loss-- after new fuel pump it ran great for a couple hoursthen lost power to the point the customer said he could walk faster than it would go --occasional backfire but rarely and very slight -- next time you try to run it it might run fine or it might not --when i tested old fuel pump it would build pressure but had almost no flow spec says 50 ml + in 3 secs -- this one (old pump) barely 10 ml
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
Well I like to have the VIN as Kawasaki did lots of mid year changes on these, and depending on the model code that can very, are you planning on getting the unit back to you shop ? Why are you so convinced that its a fuel issue or more specific a fuel pump issue ?Have you actually driven this unit when its acting up or you basing this on what your customer is relaying to you ? I see you mention the flow rate, have you checked the current pump pressure ? Did you replace the original pump or was that performed by someone else, if someone else was it the customer or another shop ?Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have not driven it when it was acting up -- customer feedback -- the fuel pump is at 43 psi and i did not replace the original pump and am not sure if it was another shop or the owner who did it.. i am wondering if it might be the injectors since i have had some motorcycles which exhibited similar symptoms -- however i don't feel good about just throwing another 250 or so at this unit just to try it .. and i will probably have the customer bring the unit back in --perhaps it will act up for me but i don't really have an hour to just ride around waiting -- by the way -- the customer tells me that the original problem was solved when the pump was replaced the first time so as of now it is on its 3rd pump --
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
OK thanks for your honesty, I pride myself on giving good solid answers in a timely manor which inturn leads you to the problem, and you being a shop you understand that time is money. You probably have one of the best engineers on Mules as you probably saw my background, I dealt with all the Kawasaki dealer in this country. So what I would require from you is to get the vehicle in your hands, I don't think that it will be necessary to drive it an hour to get it to act up, if in deed its having an issue with some checks we should be able to narrow it down at the least and maybe come up with a solution.And I agree with you 100% tat throwing another pump at it, is probably not going to be the answer.So give me your thoughts and we'll go from there ?Thanks RandyKenny
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am not thinking about another pump --the actual injectors are what i am questioning ..also -- the pump is not a kawasaki pump but one from quantum fuel systems -- kawasaki wants 600 plus for their pump and it is the complete unit -- as opposed to just the pump and sock filter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
by the way -- have you had any experience with motion pro 's new fuel injector cleaning device ?? if you have and thinkmit is good then i might buy one and try it on this unit -- i am not sure which connector these mules use -- Nippon Denso or HYB or none of the above
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am going to call the guy and have him bring the unit back .. i guess i will have to keep track of your name and such so we can chat when he returns it
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
I understand your thinking the injectors I personally don't think so, but that something that can be checked, there are other alternatives that you can do to clean these injectors, but again don't think that is the problem as it would start from the beginning, again I suggest you get the unit in your hands as I don't like trying to come up with answers on "what if's"Thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
This question is in my hands, we can continue, just reply back
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it will probably be tomorrow before i can my hands on the unit again so i am not sure how to get in touch with you at that time
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
since you don't seem to think it is the injectors may i ask what line of thinking you have ??
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
Randy I'm going to post a link for a work sheet of a list of things that I would like you to check, I going to be stepping away from my computer in a few hours for the rest of the day, if you can get the unit in and perform the stuff I listed then that will give me a pretty good idea what's going on.ThanksKennyhttp://spaces.hightail.com/receive/nJdJy