Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

On my pan 52 I can't seem to time it. I pitched multiply

Customer Question

On my pan 52 I can't seem to time it. I pitched multiply distributes. Electronic. No hood. Single point auto advance the can lobe on timer or cirvet breaker has a clip and seems very loose. No markings except a small dot under fly weights . the can has one high lobe for front cylinder then seems like 4 al together. . OK on compression stroke I went with the dot on flywheel tdc advanced the weights drop timer in with night point on can lobe faceingfront of engine. . on wire from points and condencer to either side of coil as long as fireinf front cylinder. . it started I drove up road , 3 rd gear then all things went wrong popping back firing thru carb and I haven't been able to start sinse. Only seems on cylinder will pop then I kick and it almost breaks my leg. Can't follow thru throws me . well if you understand halfof what I have written you'll know where I am
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

- you don't time at TDC. you time at the front cylinder advance mark in the middle of the hole, then set the distributor to JUST START to open points JUST as the flyweights are turned to full advance.

- the pop at the carb is a lean mis-fire. check for leaky intake seals.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.

I don't know what it is with you panhead guys, but you NEVER pay.

a shop would have charged you HUNDREDS for what I told you and you're too cheap to buy me a beer!

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve