RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner

My V-Star 1100 is having an issue with the RPM's staying upJA:

Customer Question

My V-Star 1100 is having an issue with the RPM's staying up
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a motorcycle. The Motorcycle Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: As I slow down at a stop light or sign, the RPM's are staying way up there
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if possible yes
JA: Is there anything else the Motorcycle Mechanic should be aware of about your motorcycle?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 5 months ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.If I understand the symptoms correctly, the engine does not return to idle from higher RPM's as quickly as it used to. Hopefully that is correct. From there, I would need to know if there has been any service work performed on it lately. That would be any repairs or routine maintenance. If not, is it due for a service such as a valve or carb adjustment? If it is due, I suggest taking care of that first. I will go on the assumption that it does idle down eventually, or when starting up will idle properly. If not, please clarify the conditions and symptoms further.Based on that interpretation, there are a couple of things I suggest. One would be ensuring the carbs are synchronized properly. This is balancing the vacuum at idle that each carb is pulling. Although not incredibly difficult, it does require special tools. 2 vacuum gauges and an inductive tachometer. Let me know if you have them or can get them and we can go from there.Next, although a lot lower probability, would be an air leak in the intake tract somewhere. To test this, use some contact cleaner or starter fluid and with the bike idling, spray the joints between the carbs and intake manifolds and between the intake manifolds and cylinder heads. If you get ANY change in RPM, whether it revs up or wants to stall in conjunction with you spraying the intake, you have an air leak and will need to take it apart and fix it.Lastly would be even more remote, the idle speed is set too high. Your engine should idle around 1000 RPM's. If you have any suspicions that it might be idling too high, try turning the idle down a bit to see if it helps. If you don't notice an immediate improvement, do not continue to turn the idle down. PS, don't try to get the potato potato sound, it isn't going to happen and that idle speed is too low.Let me know where you are at on this and we can go from there.ThanksRSRBOB