Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 1985 Goldwing Aspencade 1200. I'm having a problem

Customer Question

I have a 1985 Goldwing Aspencade 1200. I'm having a problem with the radio. I lost volume and now when I use my turn signals there is crackling through the speakers. Any idea what the problem might be?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, let's consider the basics; the only common factor between the radio and the turn signals would be the harness ground line (or the lack of it) which may also be responsible for the "...lost volume...crackling through the speakers..." Proposed preliminary check then would be for the integrity of the ground connections to frame, engine and battery's - terminals. Check, trace, test all the green wire as this is the harness ground line particularly those for the radio system and the turn signal lamps.Considering the age and in some instances, it may even be necessary to hardwire a secondary ground line.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did everything that you have recommended - I ran a secondary ground line off the metal box of the radio straight to the frame and the problem persists.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
...and to the battery's - terminal?To my recollection, other than the radio unit, there would also be an amplifier unit that drives the speakers. Please re-check/trace connections of the radio. It is equally possible that the loose ground and/or wiring issue is not with the radio but with this amp.