Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years

I have a 1997 Yamaha bigbear 350 4x4. It started missing out

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Yamaha bigbear 350 4x4. It started missing out at partial throttle, and dying. Than it died. It has no spark. I've ohm'd all the coils. Everything checked out. I've replaced the ignition coil, and cdi, with new parts. No spark still. Bypassed switches, no spark. Now I'm looking at the pick up coils again. I'm getting 500, and 300, ohms across the pickup coils. When I crank it I'm getting 0 dc volts, and 0 ac volts. Should it have voltage also?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a pickup. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. Normally I'm mister fix it. This is making me rethink that... Is he an atv mechanic?
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your pickup?
Customer: Do I need to retype the first comment?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?I'm going to have you check the resistance on the exciter and pulser coil, if this unit has any amount of time on it likely the stator is out of it, this is a magneto style ignition, I have seen a far amount of the exciter coils go out.Go ahead and down load and save a copy of this PDF, let me know of you have any questions ? Give me a few minutes here and I will post the PDFThanksKenny
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.
Here ya go, again let me know what you come up with and if you have any questions.ThanksKenny