Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

03 suzuki VL 1500 LC, left turn signal works sometimes, right

Customer Question

'03 suzuki VL 1500 LC, left turn signal works sometimes, right doesnt work at all, looked into left bar switch cluster part ( lights high/low, horn and turn signals ) part not mfg, not available, not even in Japan from Suz. Seems to me its switch because left works intermittently. that should eliminate relay ? Also, they told me 3 others years near mine, parts won't work.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a motorcycle. The Motorcycle Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: pulled switch cluster apart and tried to get at switch contacts to clean them. unit is enclosed plastic assembly that doesnt come apart
JA: Is there anything else the Motorcycle Mechanic should be aware of about your motorcycle?
Customer: no corrosion at all insde switch cluster, this thing is covered or garaged continually
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
Hi this is Kenny, who am I speaking to ?Do you still need help on this ?Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Larry, and yes
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
OK thanks Larry, Suzuki does things a little different when it comes to turn signals, its basically pretty simple wiring but they run it through the meter and have a series of diodes, so I would like you to check to make sure its nothing going on with that, and by the way I did look and the switch is available from what I can see and I also went onto eBay and found a few new ones still in the original packing. Part # ***** I agree that based on your original description everything points to the l/h switch assembly. So at the l/h switch you should see voltage on the light green and the brown wires, then when the switch is activated it will ground back down the light blue wire which goes into the relay, once that those wires to the l/h switch it completes the circuit and turns on either side when activated, so I would get a multi-meter and unplug the turn signal and check for battery voltage on the light blue wire when either the left or right side is switched on, if the right side is not working then you'll likely find no voltage on the light blue wire when the r/h side is switched on. Then go back to the connector for the switch and with the key on verify that you have voltage on the light green and the brown wires on the harness side, if so then that says that you are not getting voltage out of the switch down the light blue wire to the turn signal relay.Let me know what you come up with or you have any questions.Thanks LarryKenny
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your help Kenny, pulled switch assembly apart, 4 wires -blk to left, light grn to rt, lt blu to relay, red power to switch. With bike running, red shows power,then turn left on, black and red and Lt blue fluctuating 12 V when checked individually (fluct.with blink of signal). all is good right ?. turn rt signal on, no blink and all all lights dim for a split second with switch activation. ( head light, all running lts and neutral light) no power to red or Lt grn or Lt blue when checked individually. Help ! ( Lt turn is still intermittent)
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
OK, my wiring diagram isn't matching up to what I think you have, give me the colors of with wires at the relay and then the colors of the wires to the l/h switch including for the horn.And just for the turn signal switch
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry, I havent traced wires to relay and frankly don't know where it is or what it looks like. ooops! horn has 2- blk/wht stripe and blk/ blu stripe. Lights -3 wires, white, yellow and yellow/wht stripe
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
Relay is by the fuse area, I have to step out for this evening, if you can post that up and I will get back first thing in the morning.ThanksKenny
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Kenny, Going to take some time later to verify but next to fuse box it appears to be the relay. 6 wires : orange, orange/yellow stripe, orange/green stripe, green, blue, blue/black stripe, light blue
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sorry, 7 wires..
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
How we doing on finding the relay ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
typed reply last evening 4:43 pm. colors listed in reply, you see it ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HELLO ?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
OK, thanks I got it, I'm a bit confused here, did you get me the colors of the wires at the turn signal relay ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes, 7 wires into relay
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
I have never seen a relay with that many wires going into it, usually 2-3 wires, can you picture it and post it up ?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
The relay will unplug from the harness, unplug it and how many post are on the relay ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
side stand lock out is part of relay. wiring diag. shows it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it's next to fuse box behind right engine sidecase cover, be hard to get pix
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
I know what the wiring diagram shows, parts diagram shows a replacement turn signal relay ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this denso relay does not unplug,seperate unit like fuse box. wires split off harness to fuse box wires and go in thru bottom of relay. I have #'s on relay top if needed
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
38610-03F00 ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
FE249JR (###) ###-#### 12.8V 85C/M T21WX2.H21WX4 DENSO JAPAN
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
OK, I don't know what that is, maybe Denso's apt number for the junction box, the bot***** *****ne is the light blue wires goes to the turn signal relay and it get grounded to the relay,so the green and the brown wires out of the switch if they don't ground (or see ground through the relay) then the lights wont turn on.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
OK, do me a favor, lets make sure that the model you is the diagram that I'm looking at, there are some indiscrepancies, I think we are looking at different wiring diagrams ?Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just looked at a diagram online yesterday to confirm that i was in fact looking at turn relay. the descrepancy i saw was a org wire w/ blk stripe in diag. and i saw solid org wire. very hard to see entire wire where relay is located
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
diag i was looking at was labeled '03 intruder 1500
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
OK, that is what you the bike is correct, reason being is this is what I'm coming up with ? Look at the picture I posted, is that the model you have called out on my picture ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes but that is prob a aftermarket part # ? the wiring diag is on "classic cycles .org" label on page shows For E-03
2003 intruder VL 1500 LC
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
OK here is what you need to do, get a straight pin and poke it through the light blue wire where the l/h switch meets the main harness, then take a wire from the (+) positive side of the battery and touch to the pin, and try either left or right and they should light up, but will not flash, if you still have problems then you switch is no good.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am pretty sure it isn't the switch, As I stated before, When I turn on the right signal via the switch, All lights and neutral indicator dim substantially for a split second. This leads me to a power draw or a short of some kind.left side turn has been intermittent but does not show draw or short when working or not. I'm sorry for delay, I have been gone and my computer started locking up real bad on me.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
No problem, that last suggestion would eliminate the relay and wiring up to the switch, it all points to the switch, I saw a few switches on eBay, they were not cheap, but I'm sure that's going to get you going !
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
so the normal flow of power towards that switch would go fuse block to relay to switch ? I have to leave for the eve.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
Yes the power comes up on the light blue wire and then the switch distributes it down the brown and the green wire.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
dont think switch is bad, left is working consistently, right working front turn only and flashing faster than norm. not getting a dimming light draw off right any more, I did unplug relay and try to test it with no luck, (solid state). all I did otherwise is pull slightly on wires to rt turn under rear fender area. must be a bare wire somewhere ?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.
Running voltage (bypassing the relay) on the blue wire did you try that then test the voltage out of the switch (green and brown) wires will test the switch, if it passes that then you would be correct that there could be a short or open wire on that side, the switch is easy to test