Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My yamaha virago 250 wont go over 15mph and sounds like it

Customer Question

My yamaha virago 250 wont go over 15mph and sounds like it back firing a little but slowly dies after I warm it up and changed out the spark plugs
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, let's try the basics and determine general area of possible fault. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):• carefully check the old spark plug;• check the burn color of the spark plug's inner ceramic tip;- if black/sooty, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue;- if oily, then an internal engine problem;- if very light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern;• check the original air box and air filter/element;- ensure tight/correct fit;- verify air entry is only through the designated opening;• check the battery voltage;- ~at least 12.7V when idling;- but not to exceed 14.5V ~ 15.0V when revving.