Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years

2001 Yamaha V star 1100 Classic rear brakes overheating. Pads

Customer Question

2001 Yamaha V star 1100 Classic rear brakes overheating. Pads do not seem to relax. Disc gets so hot you can fry an egg on it. After riding for about 45 mins to a hour there is so much drag it makes the engine work harder. Have changed virtually everything. New pads, calipers, brake line from caliper to rear master cylinder, rear master cylinder and new fluid. Pedal seems to be adjusted out far enough that it is not applying any pressure on the master cylinder. Not touching the pedal when I ride. I got nothing. Eating through brakes pads about every 1-1 1/2 seasons and don't even ride that much. Email is***@******.***.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jeff, my name is ***** ***** after replacing all th parts youhave listed are you still having a problem with the rear brake locking ? is the rotor turning brown or blued at all after replacing all these parts ?Can I get the current mileage on the bike ?Also all these parts that you replaced were those new parts and are they from Yamaha or were any of them aftermarket parts ?Also can you give me an idea how many miles you get on a set of rear pads ?And have you ever changed the front pads if so how many miles ago was that verses the miles that on the bike currently ?Thanks, ***** ***** can answer all those questions I posted it will give me a better idea what's going on !
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Kenny. Not sure what you mean by brown or blue. It does not look to blue. Its a silver color. Mileage is 31394. All parts new OEM parts. Not sure exactly how many miles on a set of pads. I ride maybe 2000-3000 miles a year, year and half roughly to replace pads. The real problem is the overheating. Brought a spray bottle of water with me as a test and waited for the drag the spayed the disc. Water sizzled and evaporated immediately. Never changed the fronts. They are still good. As I was waiting for your response I saw something that was wrong that may be the cause. There is a brake pad spring that runs under the brake pad pins. Manual says that the longer tang must point in the direction of disc rotation. looking at the bike from the side view my longer tang is on the top side. Since the wheel rotates from left to right I think the tang is pointing the wrong direction.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So this silly little tang. Is it possible it is not allowing the pads to relax?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Jeff, sorry I didn't get right back I have to run to a couple of stores. Anyway the springs are for vibration mainly, also for noise with the pads, the pads as in all disc basically float on the rotors, if not using the brake at all you are going to build some heat into the rotor and most likely to be very uncomfortable to the touch !Now going back to my comment of "brown or blue" when the rotor changes color from its natural color to either brown or blue then we know that its been subjected to excessive heat, now many things in the brake system can cause that including resting your foot on the brake peddle, so if someone complains that the rotor has changed colors of the two mentioned you first ask the question about maybe the possibility of the rider rested his/her foot on the peddle and if the answer is no, then start looking for a mechanical failure in the system.I would straighten out the spring issue, if that spring was causing undue pressure in the pads, then it will usually eat up just one of the pads and not both equally.So here is my answer, and through my many years around motorcycles and including working and engineering at a motorcycle manufacture. Generally rear brakes on the average for most riders I would say about 6000-10,000 miles, front brakes generally go from about 5000-14,000 miles, now I'm much closer to the lower number for front brake wear as I mostly use the front brake, most of the time I NEVER touch my rear brake. So based on the number I gave you, Jeff I would like you to look at your numbers and tell me what you think might be going on in your situation ?So has your rotor changed color at all? that would indicate that its been excessively heated ? if not then as I stated earlier that the pads do float and if I went for a ride and put on 10-15 miles the bike, you wouldn't find me touching the rotor after a ride. as it will have some "normal" heat after riding.So in the end here, you should have had at least one set of pads replaced on the front with 31,394 miles, and as statistic go, your front brakes provide over 70% of your braking, and the rear should be used in conjunction for a more controlled stop. I understand that lots or riders like using the rear brakes over the front, if that is the case then you are going to go though more pads in the rear, I think you have a little bit of that going on ?Let me know if you have any questions on what I wrote or get back to me with your input.Thanks JeffKenny
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey Kenny. I have had the bike since April of 04' so for about 12 years and have changed pads 3 times in the rear. 7494 was the mileage I started with so that's 23,900 miles. I have never changed pads in the front. I just checked the fronts and there is plenty of meat on them. I just switched the spring and took her out for ride, a little longer than the other day when I was testing the rear master cylinder and brake line change out. Came back and immediately touched the rear disk. Much cooler. I could actually touch it and after about 60 seconds could hold it. Have not been able to do that since this really became an issue. I won't really know if the drag is still an issue or if they will heat up like they were before until I can take it out for about an hour. Is there a way I can send you a picture of the rear disc and the front (for comparison purposes) so you can give me your opinion? I know I use the fronts to stop but I really do not think I am over abusing the rears. I use the rear to slow down in conjunction with the fronts like you said but it is possible that I am using them more. The deal is I can just be just riding on an open road for an extended period of time not even near the brakes and the disc would heat up to the point where I could evaporate water instantly on it so I really do not think it is my braking.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Jeff for getting back with the update, like I touched on earlier, the spring is important and if not installed correctly it will generally apply pressure on one pad and prematurely one of the pads, looks like you caught it early. Jeff I think if you try increasing the usage on the fronts that I think you'll increase the life of the rear pads because you should be getting at least 5000 miles out of the rear pad. Not sure if you have a manual but I put this together, go ahead and download a copy if you like.Thanks Jeff !Kenny