Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

How can you reduce wind coming in from the side of the fork

Customer Question

How can you reduce wind coming in from the side of the fork on an Ultra Limited 2013? I have a taller than standard windshield, use good ear plugs, wear a 3/4 helmet that fits well. My ears still ring quite a bit after a 30 minute ride.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 months ago.
Kuryakn makes fork deflectors that are adjustable for airflow, it might help with your issue, if you are sure the noise is coming around the forks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need to pursue the question in a little more detail. I noticed the wind most when I put my hands in front of my knees during the ride. It seems to be coming up. My bike has wind deflectors that are stock and I can't tell that there's much difference between the recommended deflectors and the ones that I already have. I would like to talk to Ted G. For additional suggestions.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 months ago.
The main difference with the aftermarket deflectors is the shape. They design them with a venturi effect so that the air is not just blocked, but redirected. Unfortunately there are several gaps where wind can enter and depending on your particular size and options on the bike, this can cause buffeting or excess noise, both of which can be annoying. In the past I have had friends use cut out pieces of cardboard in different areas to simulate a deflector, once the general placement and size is determined then a plastic permanent version can be made. Most good accessory shops will have a source for this type of fabrication if you don't do it yourself.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Your response is informative but unfortunately I don't have any way of making a permanent plastic version. I also don't know which aftermarket device might be best. Thank you for your efforts.