Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 1983 Yamaha venture it will start but only runs for

Customer Question

I have a 1983 Yamaha venture it will start but only runs for about a min with the choke on
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: we cleaned all 4 carbs and replaced all 4 sparkplugs when I put the choke on and start the bike it will idle rough for about a min then stop if I try to adjust the choke it stalls
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 7 months ago.
Hello, have you checked the intake boots for cracks? Also have you checked the fuel flow tothe carbs?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
have already done that even put new sparkplugs in it
Thanks, I'm going to open this back up to other experts for you. it sounds like you've covered the basics as far as they go so it may be something specific to this model that i'm just not familiar with.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, it would still appear to be a fuel (delivery) issue. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):• determine burn color of the old spark plug tips;• drain and replace fuel;• check/clean the fuel path including the fuel pump/filter;• ensure vacuum integrity at the intake manifold; and• verify no air leak at the air box, filter and coupling.