RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

I have a 2007 Honda sJA: Sometimes things that you think

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Honda
s
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a motorcycle. The Motorcycle Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a 2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 with around 12000 miles. When trying to start it, it will do nothing if I engage the clutch. At times it will start if I move it back a few inches.
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: It has the original transmission.
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: This is a motorcycle not a car. If I put the bike in neutral, it starts every time. The bike is running very good other than the starting issue.
JA: Noted. IÂ’ll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If not too involved.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Motorcycle Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Nothing else.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.Right off the bat this sounds like nothing more than the clutch safety switch not functioning properly.My first suggestion is to check the contacts for the safety switch at the clutch lever bracket. Make sure it is plugged in. The next thing you want to do is check for continuity through the switch. If you have continuity one way, it should be open the other way, relative to lever pulled, lever not pulled. When the bike is in gear, it is dependent on the clutch lever to be pullled in so the engine sill start. Considering your description of the problem, the switch assembly may have failed or is in the process of failing.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOB