Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

05 Yamaha vstar 650. dianogsistic engine light flashes five

Customer Question

05 Yamaha vstar 650. dianogsistic engine light flashes five times then repeats. I'm also having issues with keeping a charge on my battery 2 yrs old. engine runs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: there are times when I hit the start switch it takes a couple of tries before the engine turns over. The initial engine check when you first turn key passes (engine light goes out). Light comes on and starts flashing when I first depress the start button. What other information are you looking for?????
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Motorcycle Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
I Will, my name is ***** ***** happen to have a multi-meter, I would like you to do a few checks ?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I do. what would you like for me to do?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back, I'm going to have you do some simple battery test, and then we'll move forward from there.You’ll need a multi-meter and set it to VDC, and since we are only testing the battery (12 volts) you can set it on the scale accordingly.Key off, we need to establish “battery” voltage, take a measurement and record it.Key on, observe the voltage drop with the key on, and record it.Key on, now while observing your meter, attempt to start the engine and observe the voltage drop, and record that. If your meter doesn’t have a peak voltage setting, you might have to do this a few times to get an accurate reading. Once you get the results, please get back to me.ThanksKenny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to get back with you on those voltage check. MC home.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
No problem, thanksKenny