P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.

I am receiving oil in my air filter from the head breathers.

Customer Question

I am receiving oil in my air filter from the head breathers. What is the problem and how do I stop it?
08 street glide 96 engine size
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 6 months ago.
The most common reason is oil carryover caused by an overfilled oil tank. It doesn't take much to cause it and the high level mark on the dipstick is typically too much. There was a service bulletin issued by HD that recommended using a maximum cold fill level of midway between the add and full marks. The dry sump oiling system in your bike does not like a high oil level and there isn't really any concern of harming the engine with a low oil level as long as your dipstick shows some oil on it. Even running it on the add mark is fine. I would suggest trying adjusting your oil level first to see if the problem is solved.You should also change your air filter element, or clean it if it is a permanent type, because of the oil in it. Your bike's engine sensors do not like the excess oil. If this has been going on a while you may need to clean them with a sensor safe cleaner from an auto parts store.I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.