Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

What is the float height 1999 yamaha r6? From gasket

Customer Question

What is the float height for a 1999 yamaha r6? From gasket surface to top of float(I do not have calipers..please!! No mods other than a slip on rs3 yoshimura exhaust.(already jetted)
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dean my name is ***** ***** want the float height, but then you note you have no calipers, I guess I'm a little confused with your request ???
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm no mechanic but I know there are two ways to do this. Either with vernier calipers, or there is a much smaller measurement taken from the top of the float to the gasket mating surface. I've seen this on forums. If you're convinced that is not possible please let me know.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Dean do you have any Harbor Freight tool stores by you ?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Also I should have asked earlier, is something going on, do you have a runnibility issue ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes sir running too rich.. fouled up my plugs quick. I do have one about a half hour away.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also bogs down when accelerating
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Dean, it sounds who ever jetted this, they have it to rich, did this all happen after it was jetted or was it jetted for sometime before it started running rich ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was fine until I got water in my gas tank. I then took apart the carbs and overhauled them because the bike was safe enough but didnt feel it was at its optimum performance. This is now a new carb(used but good condition). The old one had a crack right through carb 2 and the column the fuel/air mixture screw is attached to was literally hanging off the side. Anywhoo that along with having mixture screws all at different turns, o rings missing from under the screws i still dont know how it ran so good. New carb was set to 3 turns out. it was too rich. Now I have it at factory 2 turns. Still too rich so I thought the float height may be too low letting too much fuel in the bowl. If that helps..
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Gotta ya Dean, the way these carbs are configured and the angle they sit on the head, the spec that Yamaha gives is for the float level (liquid) height, you would do it in a vice basically on the bench, Yamaha doesn't offer the height as some of the other manufactures do. I have done this making my own gauge but it is recommended that you use there gauge. If you want this I can send you a PDF, I do not have the height as you would use a caliper to check.Thanks, ***** ***** know if you would like that ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the extremely late reply I had to check on the yamaha tool and it is too expensive for me right now that's why I was trying this method. Harbor freight doesn't have them either. Anyway I ripped the carbs out again set the float 1 mm higher(less fuel in bowl) and it runs much better. I just have to take it on the highway now to see how it runs in higher gears/rpms. Thanks for replies though