Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I have a 2007 Road Star, bought it new. Now has 40,000 mi.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Road Star, bought it new. Now has 40,000 mi. Problem: gas gauge was acting up. Took it to shop and dealer replaced Sender. Now: ran out of gas when gauge still reading 1/8 tank. Got fill up. Gauge recovered to only 1/2 tank level. Question: is there a calibration adjustment that has to be done? I plan on going back to dealer for fix but would feel more comfortable if I knew more about how to correct. Hope you can help.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The dealer may have possibly installed an incorrect level sender for your tank causing this issue here and this needs checked and replaced with one made for your model or the issue may be with the fuel gauge itself internally needing replaced or a wiring fault to the gauge or sender.I dont see a calibration for this myself here.This will have to be checked/tested further to pinpoint and repair the fault here.If found to be misdiagnosed or the dealers fault I would ask if they can help or cover the costs for repair. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete