RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

I just purchased a 2004 v-rod, it ran fine to get it home (about

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2004 v-rod, it ran fine to get it home (about 10 miles), I went out to take it for a spin tonight and now it shifts to 1st fine but when I shift to 2nd it goes into gear but when I let my toe off the shift lever it jumps right into neutral.....any ideas?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 7 months ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.I suspect you have broken a spring for the detent mechanism. Although the cause of your symptom is very minor, the downside is the cases have to be split to replace the spring. Obviously to split the cases the engine will need to come out of the frame. That makes this a huge job. This would be the most probable cause of the symptom you are describing.Here is a parts diagram for you to look at, and the spring in question is #17.http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=517&b=18&c=0&d=2004%20V-ROD%AE%20BLACK%20%28HB%29%20GEAR%20SHIFTER%20ASSEMBLYIf you have any more questions, feel free to ask.Thanks,RSRBOB