Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a 1993 heritage HD and if I take out the spark plugs

Customer Question

I have a 1993 heritage HD and if I take out the spark plugs the engine turns over fast but when I put the plugs in the starter has a real hard time turning it over. Has new starter. What could be the issue? I also have a positive light on when connecting to the neg side of battery and testing to ground?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Motorcycle Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked all connections and replaced starter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Motorcycle Mechanic should know about your motorcycle?
Customer: I installed a SS motor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
you have a faulty ground cable on the battery.in this case, I would replace both battery cables with new cables. the thinking is, if one is bad, the other can't be far off.let me know if you need more help.Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
let me know if you need more help.if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.thank you,Steve