Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

Bill. 2002 Electraglide riding tonight at lower

Customer Question

Bill. 2002 Electraglide riding for awhile tonight at lower speeds started getting a popping backfire. Ok as long as I kept at higher speed
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When engine speed dropped below 60 started popping/backfiring
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Motorcycle Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
it sounds like an electrical issue, possible due to a problem with the charging system or find out, I need some specific information.measure the battery terminal voltage under the following conditions:- ignition OFF.- ignition ON.- with the start button depressed.- with the engine at about 2,000 rpm.let me know what you find.we can continue then.Steve
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not have meter. I did not believe it was electrical but possibly fuel pump.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I kept at 70 on the way home. Backfired when I reduced speed
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
your assessment is incorrect.a backfire is an ignition issue. it has nothing to do with fuel.if I were you, I would purchase a meter. it's a good tool to have and they are relatively inexpensive....compared to taking your bike to a shop, which is what you are going to have to do if you do not follow my advice and allow me to help you troubleshoot the can buy a digital multimeter from Sears or Radio Shack and most auto parts stores for less than $100.let me know.Steve
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The popping was coming from air cleaner.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
how did we get from backfiring to popping out the air cleaner? these symptoms are not even remotely related.I don't have time for games. I am here to help people fix their motorcycle. start from the beginning. tell me everything that happened, just as it happened. and tell me EVERYTHING you did to the bike before this happened. tell me everything.Steve
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Traveling on freeway started popping thru air cleaner when I slowed down and felt like it was losing power. I accelerated and it would not go over 70. Whenever I had to go slower it would pop through the air cleaner.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
a pop out the air cleaner is a LEAN MIS-FIRE.if you performed ANY modifications to the air cleaner, air filter or exhaust system, I need to know.if this just started happening on it's own, the most likely cause is intake vacuum can find intake vacuum leak by spraying carb cleaner on the intake seals with the engine at idle. replace any seals or o-rings found's not likely your fuel pump is the issue if it works OK at some rpm, but not above or below that rpm.if you want to check the fuel pump, go to Harley for a fuel pump pressure test. it is quick and is a link to a diagram of your intake and all seals and components: me know if you need more help.Steve
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you. Sorry for the confusion.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
let me know if you need more help.if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.thank you,Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.