Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years

I am having a no spark problem with my 2008 Polaris Sportsman

Customer Question

I am having a no spark problem with my 2008 Polaris Sportsman 300. While trying to start it after sitting a couple of months, (it has been hard to start since new) I noticed smoke escaping from the CDI box. The factory box is burned on the back and obviously bad. However, I am on my 3rd new box and still no spark. I can fire the coil by brushing 12 volts on the primary lead. I have some output from the pulser coil, the "kill switch seams to operate correctly, the ETC circuit is open. My service manual test are a nightmare with wire colors different than they are supposed to be. Nobody has been into this quad before me. It only has 650 miles on it. I bought it new. Where to now?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online. What I would check into now is to see if any of the wires are found to be broken or damaged at all in any way leading to the fuse panel or box or anywhere else on this model here.If any damage is found to anything it will need to be repaired to correct this fault here.If this is or was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have checked continuity and voltages everywhere I can think of. I have opened the wire harnesses and checked for burned wires. All seem to be fine. The 15 amp fuse did blow and I replaced it when I replaced the CDI box the first time.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Hi John my name is ***** ***** manual are you using, is it an OE manual from Polaris ?and I'm assuming you have a multi-meter ?Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Kenny; the manual that I am using is in pdf form and appears to be a copy of the factory manual but nowhere does it say Polaris. I purchased the manual from John's Manuals a couple of weeks ago. I do have a VOM. I have checked for shorts and opens as per the ignition system test flow chart. Everything resistance tests within specs. I have figured out all (I think) wiring color codes, I have just about memorized the schematic by now! Thanks, John
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks John, I have OE manuals, give me a few hours here and let me dig threw the manual and see what I can come up with, Polaris manuals are pretty good, so I might expect you might have an after market manualKenny
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
OK John I would like you to perform these checks listed on this PDF, please download and save a copy,Get back to me with your resultsThanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your help but I do not feel that this will solve my problem. I do not want your service and want to request a refund of the fee that I have paid.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks John, sorry you feel that way, a lot of people come to this site because they don't want to pay the exorbitant dealer labor rates as most of them are now close to or some are ever over $100 per hour. I've been doing this a long time, I worked for a manufacture for almost 25 years and assisted dealers across this country and in Europe and Australia. Diagnosing problems and electrical problems and take times, as an engineer we go through lots of processes and then through the process of elimination, things don't always "jump" right out in front of you but again you have to eliminate all possibilities. My clients leave happy as they realize the value that this site brings to them as they have already researched what they local repair facility is going to charge and the minimum requirements for diagnostic procedures.This site as you know runs on a guarantee refund, its unfortunate for us experts at times when we have much time involved to help someone and then they request a refund, its OK because that's the rules.Anyway I hope your quest to fix your problem is successful ! you'll need to contact customer service and they will issue you a refund, we don't have nothing to do with that side.Thanks again JohnKenny