Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Honda SL125 1973. The bike is really hard to start and once

Customer Question

Honda SL125 1973. The bike is really hard to start and once it starts it doesn't run for very long. I bought a new ignition coil for it and that hasn't fixed the issue. When it's idling and I turn the headlight on the engine quits, so something is not providing enough power?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
your charging system has failed.the cause is either your alternator or regulator.I checked BikeBandit and I don't believe either of these is available.the hard starting and failure to run is most likely due to low compression. I suspect the engine needs a fresh top end rebuild.Steve
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry i'm really new with bikes and am not familiar with terms, low compression where ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this something that i could do on my own easily or is it best to take it in somewhere ? It also dies after i ride it for a bit and come to a stop
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
the compression pressure is in the cylinders. when the intake valve closes and the piston rises in the cylinder, it compresses the intake fuel/air mixture to a high pressure. the spark is timed to ignite this compressed mixture at the correct time to provide maximum expansion of the gas and force the piston down.I don't know what you paid for it, but based on your comments, I seriously doubt it's worth fixing. meaning, the cost of the repairs would likely exceed the potential resale value of the bike.my best advice to you is to purchase a new bike or another bike in better condition.I doubt you are qualified to perform the required maintenance on your own.Steve
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
glad I could help.let me know if you need more help.if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.thank you,Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
let me know if you need more help.if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.thank you,Steve