Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I have a 2009 Nightster XL1200 that i just installed a Screamin

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Nightster XL1200 that i just installed a Screamin Eagle Stage 4 kit(585 cams, 10.5/1 pistons, Stage 4 Heads, 58mm throttle body, and heavy breather). I then had taken it to a local bike shop that has a dyno and the capabilities to flash and preogram the ECM.
A: HD didn't have the Baseline for this model year bike. So, we found the closest one(13-14 Sportster). The 13-14 baseline would not upload to the bike. Tried several times with no luck per the HD program and the Screamin Eagle Pro tuner.
B: We decided to see if anything would upload..... The big twin basline uploaded to the ECM. OK. Progress. So we copied and pasted some of the numbers from the Sportster program to the Big Twin program. The ECM accepted. Great!
C: A few 20-30 seconds runs later(not on DYNO), to start a gentle break-in period, it doesn't start. The smell of fuel is quite strong and the plugs confirm a lot of fuel.
All that back story for this query ......
Is there a Baseline Program for this HD Screamin Eagle Stage 4 Kit on a 2009 Nightster 1200?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. You may have to check with other after market facilities that can program and modify models like this here to see if they can locate a program for this.I suspect the incorrect programming was done and is the cause here for the over fuel issue.Unfortunately this is the only way I know of myself to try and correct an issue like this here.If this is not an option for you or was already attempted let me know so we can continue. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Can you repost your reply above as it didnt come through here at all? Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
As this is a newly developed kit specifically for this model, per the Screamin Eagle catalog, HD had to have done the research/programming in order to market this Kit "for" this model.
The local shop that I selected has been Dyno Tuning HD(Local HD Dealership preferred) bikes for quite a few years so I believe that this is not a matter of going to another local facility.
I do have a Dyno tuning appointment on the 25th however, I would like to do what I can to assist the break-in process up to that date.
I don't know where to find additional information on a baseline programming. The baseline programming has to be out there!..... This is a kit that could be done at home, all the way up to the final Dyno tune.thanks,
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete