kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experience in Harley Davidson and Triumph

Correct way to test my solenoid on my 2005 Polaris 400 Spo

Customer Question

Correct way to test my solenoid on my 2005 Polaris 400 Sportsman.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 6 months ago.
Hello, the first step is to see if you have battery voltage to the small redwire when pressing the start switch. If you do the next step isto make sure there is batteryvoltage at the large cable coming from the battery to the solenoid. If that checks out check that the solenoid is mounted securely to the ATV as this is how it obtains a ground tooperate the circuit. Finally press the start button and chaeck for battery volatge on the other large cable going to the starter at the solenoid. Ifvoltage is present on the small wire when pressing start as well as the large battery cable and the solenoid is grounded properly and there is novoltage on the large cable going to the starter when pressing start then the solenoid is bad. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Follow ups concerning this are free even after you rate or accept.Thanks!