Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 1993 250 Yamaha Timberwolf. Battery is fully charged

Customer Question

I have a 1993 250 Yamaha Timberwolf. Battery is fully charged and checked at Yamaha dealer. I cannot get power to the key switch now after jump starting with charger. Have juice to solenoid switch on both sides. How do I find where to trace next down the line?
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have not received anything from you
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 7 months ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.I would like a bit more information from you.For starters, What is the original problem? If you are getting power through "both sides" of the solenoid, the electric starter should be spinning. It would also require power to the primary side of the solenoid (that goes to and from the starter button on the handle switch).What color wire are you trying to find power on at the key switch?Also, if you are not getting power to the proper wire at the key switch, the first thing to do is check the fuses. Please do not trust your eyes to check them. Use either a test light or a multi meter to ensure you have electron flow across the fuses. Fuses can "look" good and be open (bad) electronically. If you are using a test light, with the key on you should be lighting the test light on both sides of the fuse. If you are using a meter, ground the black lead and touch both ends of the fuse. You should read battery voltage at both sides of the fuse.Let me know where we are at and we can go from there.ThanksRSRBOB