Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

I have a Yamaha 2009 Grizzly 550 ATV. It makes a clicking sound

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha 2009 Grizzly 550 ATV. It makes a clicking sound (I think in the clutch) and then free wheels going down steep hill. If I rev the motor it stops free wheeling.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
Hello It seems your one-way clutch may be slipping, or faulty. In your clutch area is a centrifugal clutch. This clutch contains what looks like a bearing set, but is actually a one-way slipping clutch. This is designed so when the transmission turns faster then the engine speed it will grip and allow for engine braking. So when going down hill, the engine should be helping in braking. In your case, since it will not engage until you rev the throttle this clutch is not working. When your reving the engine it is operating that centrifugal clutch so then your getting engine braking then. There are sometimes "normal" clicking noises when you are going downhill when using the brakes. This is just some shuttering of the brakes and lash in your drivetrain. But since you are not getting any enigne braking till you rev the motor this tells me your clutch is not acting as it should, and should be inspected/replaced.