Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

My 19991500vulcan keeps blowing main30amp fuse when uh turn

Customer Question

My 19991500vulcan keeps blowing main30amp fuse when uh turn key on with key off in if I touch scfew driver to metal anywhere on bike it sp
arks
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?You definitely have a main short likely in the harness up to the ignition switch.Couple of questions ?Any accessories hooked directly to the battery ?If there are accessories on the bike please explain ?ThanksKenny
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No accessorie could the retifer cause this problem like I was saying if I'o touch screen driver to exhaust or any bare metal it sparks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** had a few areas where the wire harness shorted, you need to remove the fuel tank and at the back where the fuel tank is, just under that where the harness comes up from under the seat look at the underside of the harness, that was one area.Then look over on the r/h side where the air cleaner is located, behind the air cleaner, look in that area,So if you install the 30 amp fuse and it doesn't blow until the ignition switch turns on that would tell me that likely you have a "brown" wire that is shorted.So another thing you can do is unplug every accessories (lights, regulator/rectifier, anything that has a plug connections, then start plugging then back in until the fuse blows, now if you have most everything unplugged and you are still blowing fuses, then look for that harness short.Let me know if you have any further questions.ThanksKenny