Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a suzuki intruder v-twin 800. 2 carbs. 30,000 miles.

Customer Question

I have a suzuki intruder v-twin 800. 2 carbs. 30,000 miles. Just purchased it. I removed the carbs, cleaned the jets, the bowls looked clean anyway, but ran carb cleaner through the jets. Put it back together again and the bike starts and idles perfectly, but sputters, backfires and chugs as it is getting up to high RPM. When it gets through all of that sputtering and backfiring, the bike takes off like a rocket. I ran it for about 30 miles, and the conditions never improved. When I pulled the plugs to check them, the front cyl plug was whitish (have photos) and the back looked normal.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.
Hi Steve and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, the description of "...front cyl plug was whitish..." is very significant as it would indicate a lean mix. This would indicate a possible internal carb issue (least likely)orpotentially an air leak (most likely).Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) would be to re-check that the front air box + filter are correctly mounted on the carb and ensure that air entry is only through the designated slot.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Louie,
Please see the photos of the plugs I attached and give me your thoughts. I will spray carb cleaner around the carb boots and listen for idle speed changes. Is there a chance there is an ignition problem, or do we focus on fuel?-Steve
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.
For some reason, the pictures did not show up. Still, please click HERE to try again....and doubtful that the symptom would be ignition related.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
here is the picture
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.
Appreciate the picture.And the above would still hold true, focus on the suspected front air leak.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I warmed the bike up, and sprayed carb cleaner at the boot of the carbs, it did not change the motor speed at all. I did notice that the front carb air/fuel mix screw is frozen in place, I can not adjust it. I also noticed that as the bike revved, it was backfiring out of the exhaust a lot more than before.After revving the bike, the bike continued to backfire even after it settled to idle.I can attach a video if that would help.-Steve
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.
Steve consider an experiment by restricting the air flow towards the front carb. Ideally, add a layer or 2 of generic foam filter similar to the product shown HERE.or1 or 2 old socks laid over the top of the original air filter. The idea is to determine if there would be a change at which RPM the symptom of "...sputters, backfires and chugs as it is getting up to high RPM..." would start showing.