Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 1996 sportster 1200. With the bike is running, I can

Customer Question

I have a 1996 sportster 1200. With the bike is running, I can shift into gear, release the clutch lever, and roll the throttle...the bike doesn't move, and it doesn't stall. it continues to run. In 1st gear, it will creep forward slightly, if I let it...but, if I put my feet on the ground, I can stop it from moving at all, even with the clutch lever released and the throttle rolled on.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a 1996 Harley Davidson sportster 1200. With the bike running, I can shift into gear, release the clutch lever, and roll the throttle...the bike doesn't move, and it doesn't stall...it continues to run. In 1st gear, it will creep forward slightly, if I let it...but, if I put my feet on the ground, I can stop it from moving at all, even with the clutch lever released and the throttle rolled on.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 10 months ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.What you are describing is a severely slipping clutch.This could be something as minor as a clutch and cable adjustment or it could require replacing some of the clutch components.If you could give me some more background on this, it would help determine which direction we should pursue first. That way, we don't get involved more deeply than necessary.I would also like to know if you have any freeplay in your clutch cable. Freeplay is necessary to prevent clutch slippage. Taking free play out of the cable lifts the pressure plate off the clutch pack and will cause slippage. If you aren't sure, find the cable adjuster in the middle of the cable and run it all the way in. Now, pull out on the outer cable housing at your handle bar clutch perch. Slowly tighten the cable adjuster until you have about 1/8" gap between the clutch perch (lever bracket) and the steel ferrule on the end of the outer cable housing. Lock the cable adjuster in place there. Re-try your test of putting the bike in gear and letting the clutch out. If it still does not want to move normally, we may to have to take the clutch apart and assess the damage.Let me know what you find.Thanks,RSRBOB
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I'll check that in the morning, and get back to you.FYI...I graduated from Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Phoenix in '03. So, you're not dealing with a complete newbie. Although, I haven't worked in a shop in over 10 years, so I am pretty rusty. lolBrad
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 10 months ago.
Fair enough. I teach at MMI in Orlando. :)