Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

Hey I'm Chris a 20 yr old male, I want to purchase a Harley

Customer Question

Hey I'm Chris a 20 yr old male, I want to purchase a Harley Davidson 2005 Sportster XL883L with 2900 miles for $3500. My question is if this is a good beginners bike? Also, I will be purchasing this used on craigslist. Should I have a Harley mechanic come with me, or should I bring the bike to them, I'm not sure what to do their. How do you ask a harley mechanic to inspect your bike? I won't feel safe buying this bike without the right guidance, which is why I am here. What questions should i ask about the bike? Will i be able to use this bike for a long time? What kind of maintenance is required for this bike? Below is the information located on the Craigslist ad minus the pictures.
condition: like new
engine displacement (CC): 883
fuel: gas
odometer: 2900
title status: rebuilt
transmission: manual
CALL OR TEXT show contact info ..
2005 HARLEY DAVIDSON SPORTSTER XL883L WITH 2900 ORIGINAL MILES
THIS BIKE HAS BEEN REDONE TO LOOK MORE LIKE A NIGHTSTER IRON 883 - ALONG WITH UPGRADES FOR BETTER HANDLING & THE OPTION TO MAKE INTO CAFE RACER:
WHEELS, TRIPLE TREE CLAMPS, HANDLE BARS, FORKS HAVE BEEN POWDER COATED BLACK.
CUSTOM CLUBMAN RACING BARS THAT ARE REVERSIBLE . RIGHT NOW THEY ARE INSTALLED UPWARDS FOR A MORE COMFORTABLE RIDE, CAN BE FLIPPED DOWNWARD FOR A MORE CAFE RACER STYLE & SPORTBIKE RIDING FEEL.
CUSTOM 2.2 GALLON PEANUT TANK WITH IRON 883 HARLEY DAVIDSON CHROME DECALS.
CUSTOM NIGHTSTER STYLE CHOPPED LOOK REAR FENDER WITH DISCREET LED LIGHT WITH INTEGRATED TURN SIGNALS
CUSTOM HEAVY DUTY LICENSE PLATE BRACKET
THE DRIVER FOOT PEGS ARE MID CONTROLS FOR A MORE SPORTIER & CAFE RACER STYLE SHIFTING & RIDING POSITION
UPGRADED REAR RFY SHOCKS WITH EXTERNAL PISTON & FULLY ADJUSTABLE SPRING RATE. THEY ARE 13.5 INCHES MAKING THE BIKE MORE LEVELED CAUSING IT TO BE MORE COMFORABLE & DOES NOT RUB THE FOOT PEGS WHEN YOU MAKE TURNS . MAKING IT A BETTER HANDLING BIKE & YOU GET BETTER BUMP ABSORPTION WHEN RIDING WITH A PASSENGER.oday. Is $3500 to much or just the right price? What should I be looking for when I go to inspect the bike?
Below is the information written on the ad minus the pictures.
condition: like new
engine displacement (CC): 883
fuel: gas
odometer: 2900
title status: rebuilt
transmission: manual
CUSTOM HEAVY DUTY LICENSE PLATE BRACKET
UPGRADED REAR RFY SHOCKS WITH EXTERNAL PISTON & FULLY ADJUSTABLE SPRING RATE. THEY ARE 13.5 INCHES MAKING THE BIKE MORE LEVELED CAUSING IT TO BE MORE COMFORABLE & DOES NOT RUB THE FOOT PEGS WHEN YOU MAKE TURNS . MAKING IT A BETTER HANDLING BIKE & YOU GET BETTER BUMP ABSORPTION WHEN RIDING WITH A PASSENGER.
Thank you for your help -Chris
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know very much knowledge about motorcycles, by the way, sorry for posting the ad twice
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, i can tell you that a 883 is the best first cruiser bike, i had one myself at the age of 23, i bought it new off the showroom floor in 05, harley guys may tease you for having the smaller engine BUT who cares, this is a great first bike. what i would suggest is to see if a harley mechanic will come with you, you want to inspect all the added parts to make sure they were added correctly and it doesnt look like a hack job, as far as maint, you want to make sure the oil was changed, check for oil leaks around the engine, if its a rebuilt title you need to thoroughly inspect the bike and look for cracks in the frame, as why it was a rebuilt title, what work had been done and what happened to cause it to have the title branded . that would be my only worry. as a matter of fact i would suggest you set a appt at a local harley dealer and pay the diag fee to have them look over the bike in house. EVERY year the oil should have been changed and the battery on a trickle charger, check the tires for dry rot. i think the best thing is to have it looked over at a shop locally or harley dealer. that would be the best bet. as for the price its not too bad. thats super low miles for the year. new ones are about 8k roughly so i would agree that the 3500$ tag give or take a few hundred is agreeable. hope this helps. Lou P. Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.
I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may receive my credit for assisting you. Thank you.