Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

I have an 1986 Honda xl 600r that just started to drip gas

Customer Question

I have an 1986 Honda xl 600r that just started to drip gas from the right carburetor rubber boot that goes to airbox. Surged and bucked but I made it home. Any ideas? Thanks Andy
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm checking the boot for a hole and then try maybe taking float bowl out , maybe sticky floats
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 6 months ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.I agree with you that the actual root cause of the gas dripping is in the carb. The boot leaking is a symptom of that. I do suggest removing the carb from the bike and taking the float bowl off to have a look. I believe you will find you need to clean the carb up.As far as the boot, I would remove that as well and inspect it by squeezing the rubber and rolling it so the outside is stretched and look for cracks, especially from dry rot. As old as the bike is, it is very likely it does need to be replaced.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Bob I'll ask some questions soon if that's all right? Andy Combs
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 6 months ago.
Of course. Any time you have questions, feel free to respond to this thread. I get notification every time I sign on that I have a response so I know to read your post.RSRBOB