Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

2008 Kawasaki GTR 1400 .just had ignition ecu and new fob chipped

Customer Question

2008 Kawasaki GTR 1400 .just had ignition ecu and new fob chipped but cannot get lcd to display. Repairer insists the ecu will read the fob. Checked fuses,battery power and solenoid switch in ignition. Not jammed but other than pulsing light on dash to show supply - Nothing. Dealer suggests I need new ecu and fobs plus ignition assembly. 3-6 months wait and no guarantee of success . Cannot check with diagnostics as this can only be done if bike is started . Uselessly over engineered and now two months off the road - Any ideas?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 10 months ago.
Hi Martin, my name is***** have to step away this morning(California) but I will get back to you on this, in the mean time did the person that worked on this use the KDS (Kawasaki proprietary software) to program the new FOB. Please explain exactly what he did ?ThanksKennyI will get back to you later on this.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Kenny, thanks for coming back to me. I sent the fob and ignition ecu to a guy called Ian Black who runs a company into the Uk called Motomatrix . They specialise in rechipping ECU's for all makes of bike and he made the point that Kawasaki only use this KIPASS system in the GTR . I had previously lost two fobs and the local bike servicing guys could not reprogramme the ecu as apparently it can only be done a maximum of -6 times. The bike is in Singapore and local Kawasaki agent completely unhelpful stating new ecu and transponders would take 3 -6 months to get from Japan which is why I looked for a work around solution. What I'm still not clear about is whether the key-/-ignition assembly has a separate chip which needs to synch with the fob and transponder so if I have to obtain another ignition ecu and fob will I need to order a new ignition barrel assembly too?I will find out what software Motomatrix used to reprogramme the ecu and let you know. Very frustrating as no one has a clue what to suggest here in Asia , it is not a problem they have seen before and I cannot turn the key unless the ecu and fob can work together to light up the lcd display on the dash, cheers,Martin
Thanks Martin, well some of the info you stated is correct, however here is the truth and this is what you are going to need.You can program about 6 FOB's on an ECU and not more. Lets say that you have had programed 6 key fob's and lost all 6 of them, you simply go it and erase all of them, then you can add 6 more, it will only hold that amount. Now here is were your at, each FOB has a co-efficient number when made, you need that number when you use the Kawasaki proprietary software, so if you don't have that number (which when you order a new FOB it comes in a bag with that co-efficient number) So then you go into the ECU with KDS and then add that new number which will then activate the and match that FOB with the ECU.As you will see from my profile I worked for the factory (Kawasaki) and to this day I don't know anyone that can circumvent that process of programing the FOB's unless they have that co-efficient number. So what you'll need to do is get your ECU back in the bike and find someone with KDS.
Hey Martin, just so we are on the same page, the current FOB, you can get into the ECU, you need to be able toat least turn the unit on ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Kenny,I sent a replacement fob with serial number to Motomatrix along with ignition ecu although they said they don't need it. basically I think they have erased the ecu memory so it can re register a further 6 transponders. Having got it back maybe the bike shop didn't see the need to use their KDS software to re register the fob and just assumed it should work when they reconnected the ecu. I have asked them to check as clearly there is no recognition oft He fob by the ecu or I would be able to turn the key. If thAt doesn't work then I just have to order a new ignition ecu which apparently comes with two fobs and start again. Order time is up to three months android they insist if I go elsewhere eg Europe or USA the ecu may not be the correct one .Quoted price is 1900sgd which is around 1000 GBP!I'll keep trying - the agent says KDS cannot tell what isn't working until the bike can run which seems ridiculous - I may never find the problem on that basis!Thanks for your help
Thanks for getting back Martin, I think you are going to find that you will need an ECU and new FOB, not sure that the serial number is ***** to work. KDS is also a diagnostic tool for engine management also. But you need a FOB that the ECU can recognize to be able to say "open the door" then once in you an perform diagnostic check and it will also tell you faults and the occurrence of them. We can get ECU over here in a day out of the warehouse and FOB, I have connects at corporate in California, I don't see any reason that an ECU for US bike wouldn't work ? Anyway if you get in a pinch let me know and I can research that further from my contacts over there,Kenny
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Kenny thanks for this might need yr help to acquire new ecu and transponders if I send you the bike data eg frame no etc would that help? Bike shop says I will need new key / ignition barrel as well is that correct? Presumably it can only be set up with KDS software when it arrives. Curious how that can be done as the agent tells me they need to start the bike to get the software to work? I'm confused and I've been quoted 2950 Singapore dollars for the three items which is crazy! Cheers martin
Martin let me ask about the original ECU and the FOB's did you loose them or did they just stopped working ?You can give me your VIN number, also where was this unit purchased, country ? if this was a unit that was sold out of the US then likely it will not be in the system over here, but getting the VIN # ***** help.You do not need to start this unit to program keys ?? I think your dealer over there hasn't dealt with many of these. the KDS software is expensive and since you are not a dealer not sure if you can even get it ?But answer my question on the reasoning why you are in this predicament.Thanks