Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I have a 1996 Royal Star. All 4 cylinder heads have a vacuum

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Royal Star. All 4 cylinder heads have a vacuum line connector coming out of the head, 3 were capped off. On my bike I noticed a line running from the #4 carb came off. I assumed it went onto the vacuum line connector on the #4 cylinder (which had nothing on the connector, so I put it back on. When I did, the exhaust sound was stifled and it ran poorly. When I pulled it off, it ran much better, but would backfire intermittently. Since the old end caps on the other 3 cylinder were cracked, I replaced them and tried that configuration, but it was still muffled and had little power. I then capped off the #4 cylinder connector and also capped the line going to the #4 carb. I now runs great, plenty of power and throttle response, no backfires. I don't understand why and when I look at the carb diagram, it doesn't look like official specs. What is the proper setup?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online. You might check with a dealer or repair center that works on this model here since no one has posted any info on the official set up or connection for these here.In some cases they may not charge to tell you how these connect on this here.If this is not an option for you here and you want to continue here instead on this let me know so we can continue from here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete