Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

No starting on Kawasaki 454 Ltd. When push ignition. Worked

Customer Question

No starting on Kawasaki 454 Ltd. When push ignition. Worked fine a few minutes ago. Now won't ignite. Starter turns, and celanoid is clicking.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Josh, my name is ***** ***** of questions before we get startedDo you have a multi-meter ?Have you replaced a battery lately, if not how old is the battery to the best of your knowledge ?Has the bike been sitting ?Do the lights and turn signals work as they should ?ThanksKenny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Kenny,I do have a multi meter. Bike has sat over winter. All lights , turn signals etc. Work. Battery was replaced within one year. Had on trickle charge over night last night. Came out today and started right up. Was running for 5 minutes then bike shut off and ignition would no longer work. Have 12.4 volts at solenoid. Solenoid clicks when ignition button is pressed. Fyi, starter is also fairly new
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 8 months ago.
OK Josh, I going to post up a few checks to initially get us started, please get back with your findings. You’ll need a multi-meter and set it to VDC, and since we are only testing the battery (12 volts) you can set it on the scale accordingly.Key off, we need to establish “battery” voltage, take a measurement and record it.Key on, observe the voltage drop with the key on, and record it.Key on, now while observing your meter, attempt to start the engine and observe the voltage drop, and record that. If your meter doesn’t have a peak voltage setting, you might have to do this a few times to get an accurate reading. Once you get the results, please get back to me.ThanksKenny